I'll write more soon, when I get a little more time and energy (hopefully tomorrow). In the meantime, here are plenty of pictures from my little five-day jaunt to England!
Day one (Friday, in transit)
The French side of the English channel
As much of Regents Park as I made it into (which meant that I only walked a street that cut off the tip of the park)
Big Ben
Big Ben and the London Eye (also note how dark it was at 5:35pm)
Home sweet home! Anna's room and the bed she made for me. At this point, I was so so so happy to sit down, let alone have all this waiting. It was PERFECT!
Day Two (Saturday, Oxford)
Christchurch Meadows (of Harry Potter fame)
The river where Anna rows... gorgeous, no?
I want to live here.
Doesn't this just seem quintessential Oxford?
Okay, my Biology-nerd self couldn't get over this. I walked past it, realized what it said and how incredibly in awe I was, then I went back later just to take a picture. Um, he saw the first CELL. Before America was even thinking of becoming a nation. Kind of puts things in perspective, huh?
Affirming my love of English gardens (oh, and this is in Anna's college by the way)
Oh, you know, just your neighborhood graveyard and crypt next to the library in Anna's college
(also fitting, as this picture was taken on Halloween)
No words to describe how wonderful it was to be back with Anna!
Our pumpkins!
Day Three (Sunday, London)
Well, we were welcomed to London by some blustery, rainy weather that made for broken umbrellas, head scarves, wet pants and feet, and plenty of uncontrollable laughter...
With weather like that, who could resist an egg salad sandwich and mushroom risotto soup?
In front of the National Gallery
London Bridge
Day Four (Monday, Oxford)
Peanut Butter! Because it is a foreign and expensive food item in France, Anna bought me a jar to welcome me. I didn't think I could take it on the plane, so I did what I do best: finished it off. Five days, one jar, from carrots to apples to chocolates... all with PB. Yum.
Day Five (Tuesday, going home)
Beautiful, beautiful Hyde Park.
An awful myspace-style picture, just to prove that I was indeed in London. Yes, I did look all around me to make sure no one saw me do this. That's how much I hate taking photos of myself.
Somewhere on the other side of the river was the Princess Diana memorial that I really wanted to go see (and felt a little obligated to do so, given the slight relation!), but didn't feel like getting lost for another hour.
I wish this showed the torrential downpour. It looks like nothing here. What a way to leave London!
great trip pics !
ReplyDeleteAs I recall, there was a really great pub across the street from the National Gallery, which probably houses a lot more than just the Rosetta Stone. Need to go back! (to the N.G., not the pub)
ReplyDelete