Here's a random mix of pictures from the Châteaux of the Loire Valley. It's becoming somewhat of a trend, but I no longer have time for lengthy updates or ramblings, unfortunately. I'd love to fill you in on absolutely everything, but I have too much to do. I will try to write something soon!
Château #1: Serrant
(Not considered a "real château", it was the smallest of the bunch. No photos were allowed inside, so you're stuck with the outside photos. Fun fact: the Queen of England stayed here for 3 days in the 80s)
Château #2: Azay-le-Rideau
(We didn't have a guided tour of this one; instead, it was a "visite libre", which meant that I really didn't learn anything about this château or why it was here. It was pretty, though, and the kitchen was HUGE and beautiful.)
Château #3: Villandry
(Known for its gardens more than the inside of the château itself, we came here to watch the sunset on Saturday. It was absolutely freezing and the sunset was a little cloudy, but the gardens were beautiful.)
Château #4: Amboise
(Probably my favorite because it was a guided tour, and the tour was really interesting. Of course, I forget everything I learned, but Leonardo da Vinci was buried here, which is reason enough.)
The chapel with Leonardo da Vinci's tomb inside
The man himself (aka this is actually his tomb, not a tombeau)
Everything in black is currently standing; everything in red is the preexisting château grounds. This means that Amboise used to be five times larger before the French Revolution when it got destroyed.
A gorgeous hall with a fire burning in the fireplace at the far end. This hall is still used for parties and functions that the general public can attend... I would love to go here...
I actually love this room.
Yeah, I mean, I SUPPOSE I could live here...
Château #5: Chenonceau
That is not a see-through screen, but a picture of the château hung in front of the château itself due to construction... slightly disappointing
The intricacy of this was unbelievable
Each of those arches had an alcove window that looked over the river (because this hall spans the entire width of the river)
The river passing underneath Chenonceau (viewed from the kitchen/basement window)
In the kitchen, which occupied the entire basement of the house
Diane de Poitiers' room
same room
View towards the gardens (Chenonceau is behind me to my right)
The left part of Chenonceau is the part spanning the river, if that makes sense
No comments:
Post a Comment